First off while, I was writing this article, I had Robot Parade by They Might be Giants stuck in my head the whole time.
I've been reading a lot of economists deriding a higher minimum wage and they've got me a bit riled up (here's a very small selection).
- An Open Letter to Arindrajit Dube
- If Government Can Work Miracles…
- Alex Tabarrok on Price Floors and the Minimum Wage
All this has got me to thinking, there should be some sort of response to all this minimum wage non-sense. How about a robot parade?
A bunch of people could dress up like robots and hold traditional demonstration signs. There's probably some good visual jokes in unpacking "how would a 'handmade' protest sign look if a robot made it?".
The signs could contain slogans like:
- Robots in support of a $15 wage for human workers
- Make low skill human work illegal.
- More work for robots! Less work for humans!
- Make human labor unfordable.
Technically there would still be time to do it this year, but I suspect this topic will still be relevant this time next year.
I am probably the wrong person to try to organize something like this but I might shop the idea around a little, maybe someone else will take it up.